So, I was talking to my parents this past weekend. Actually, that is not technically correct. I was venting to my parents about something that was bugging me. As usual, they did their parent thing and went directly into what I like to refer to as "advise mode," -- offering advice on how to remedy this situation. Do all parents automatically do this? I mean, do I do this with my kids? Is it part of the parent job description? While I sometimes appreciate the advice, often I just want to VENT. Anyway, back to the story. I'm whining away, really working myself into a good cathartic bitch session, when my father utters the following question: "What would Joe do?"
It is a well known fact that my parents love Joe. In their minds, the guy walks on water, eats quiche, you name it. (Let's face it -- he married me, which means they don't have to worry...) While I tend to to heat up and cool down quickly when it comes to temper, Joe is quieter and steadier in temperament, a businessman (just bid'nez, he likes to say). I suddently realized that my father was stepping aside in his advice-giving role and handing the baton to my husband. Something felt very old fashioned, very un-women's lib about this, but at the same time, endearing. It's sweet and comforting to know these men are looking out for me.
When I got off the phone with my parents, I hurried to find Joe and inform him of his new role -- and my new slogan for him -- WWJD -- What would Joe do? We had a good laugh over this one.
(Just in case, for those of you who don't get the Oriental Trading catalogue or haven't been into Spencer's in a long time, WWJD in the real world stands for "What would Jesus do?")
Mid-Semester Break
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment