Wednesday, May 03, 2006

What's in a name? That which we call a rose..."

Teaching eighth graders certainly has its moments. These kids can be annoying, frustrating, endearing, or hilarious -- and all within a matter of minutes. Each year I've had one student who enjoys "changing" my name. Last year it was Mike, who instead of calling me Mrs. Fallon, spent the year calling me Mrs. Failin'. Unfortunately for him, he created the name from personal experience. This year it's Connor. It started one morning when he had a question, and instead of calling out my name, out slipped "Mom!" The whole class cracked up while lanky, gangly Connor slid into his seat, turning several shades of crimson. Since then, he's learned to appreciate the humor, not to mention the attention, and continues to call me "Mom." However, this past week a new name slipped out. While trying to get my attention, he yelled out, "Yo!" to which I sarcastically responded, "Excuse me????" to which he responded, "I'm sorry. I meant Mrs. Yo." Ya gotta give credit where it's due. It was a nice save. So, now it seems that until June 21st I'm "Mrs. Yo." I wonder what it will be next year?

No comments: